If you are thinking about selling your home soon or just know that one day you will, you may wonder what home buyers are currently looking for when they are shopping for a home. If you are in the process of making updates to your home, it makes sense that you consider what the future buyer of your home might want so that you can make choices that will appeal to people when the time does come for you to sell.
With that in mind, what are buyers really looking for today? In today’s market, buyer’s expect homes to be nicely updated especially the kitchen and bathrooms. No Formica countertops, dark rooms and closed up floor plans. Here are five things you should consider if your home doesn’t already have them.
- Open Floor Plans…this isn’t going away. Buyers want space where they can gather with family and friends or supervise kids while they are making dinner in the other room. If your home doesn’t offer this, consider removing a wall or two for an open feel and blending separate spaces together for an easy flow.
- Outdoor living space is still big so add features that make the space usable for multiple seasons like a covered space to block the worst sun, a firepit for cool nights or a kitchen for easy weekend entertaining.
- Flexible living spaces. We have moved away from the growing homes of the 90’s. Homes are still spacious but not getting any bigger because buyers want to use the space they have. Formal areas that are rarely used have been eliminated in favor of flexible spacesthat serve multiple purposes and get used daily. From offices to playrooms and exercise rooms to guest space, buyers opt to use their space wisely.
- Buyers are interested in finishes that will last while providing low maintenance such as hardwood floors and ceramic tile. Today’s homeowners are busy and don’t want to spend every weekend taking care of their home. Maintenance to make things last will be done but they would rather use their free time for recreation than home maintenance.
- Buyers want storage space. Walk-in closets, a linen closet, pantry, coat closet and an organized garage. Buyers want space for their stuff and they want the spaces organized so add shelving and organization systems to make the space work well for you and it will benefit you down the road too.
Think about all of these things before you make any changes. Chances are you will enjoy them as well as the buyer that one day buys your home. If you are in the process of making updates soon, call me and let’s discuss your ideas so you can maximize your investment.